OKLAHOMA CITY - FOLIO (Friends of Libraries in Oklahoma) is pleased to award the Friends of the Elgin Community Library $200 for their outstanding work during Friends of the Library (FOL) Week, October 20-26, 2019.
Elgin Mayor Larry Thoma signed a proclamation designating Library Week. In addition, the Elgin Friends learned that they had been awarded a Health Literacy Grant from the Oklahoma Department of Libraries. This grant will be used to sponsor health-related programs for the community. The Friends added a number of activities during October:
- Installing and revealing a unique mosaic in the library.
- Outreach provided to a number of groups to distribute library fact sheets, including school staff members, teen patrons, senior citizens and city council members.
- Additional publicity, including buttons identifying Library Friends, bookmarks, local radio interview, and publicity in the Elgin and Lawton newspapers. The Elgin paper, The Chronicle, donated space so the Friends could recognize many local business supporters.
- Friends of the ECL reception held in the library that included refreshments and a door prize.
- Collected books from Elgin/Fletcher/Sterling schools, whose students held book drives to benefit the Friends.
- Hosted a Halloween Party for children.
- Dining out fundraiser at Trivet’s Family restaurant, which donated 10% of proceeds to the Friends of the Elgin Community Library.
FOLIO is a statewide group supporting local friends of libraries to make libraries stronger in Oklahoma. More information is available at www. okfriends.net.